Monday, January 31, 2011

Nairobi

Last week I met with several large families to learn about their stories of flight and survival.  I am constantly amazed at how resilient and compassionate people are - especially those who have nothing.  Some of the people I talked to included: a couple with 6 biological children and 8 orphans they "adopted" as they were fleeing civil war in their home country; a 15-year old boy taking care of his 5 younger siblings because both of the parents had died; and a single woman (younger than me) with 8 children.  All of these people are just trying to survive in a place that is not their home, where they have difficulty getting steady work, and where they have few legal rights. 

Below are some pictures of a home where a family of six lives.  As you can see, the apartment has indoor plumbing, but water is only available two days a week!




When I'm not meeting with clients, I'm trying to get a taste (sometimes literally) of Kenyan life in and around Nairobi.  I've sampled a variety of Kenyan dishes - kachumbari (fresh tomato and onion salad), ugali (a starchy, porridge-like side dish), chapati (basically a deep fried tortilla), pilau (rice pilaf), and irio (mashed potatoes with peas and corn).  I still haven't tried nyama choma (bbq'd meat), but that's on the schedule for this week!  Kenya isn't really known for its food.  After trying ugali - a staple in the Kenyan diet - I can see why.   Ugali is about as tasty as starchy porridge sounds!  But the fish I had with it (see photo below) was excellent. 
Ugali - the mashed potato looking  blob on the left 
Kachumbari - the tomato and onion salad next to the fish
The restaurant were I had this meal is a popular lunchtime spot, located just a few blocks away from the office.  I'll definitely go back for more fish...not sure about the ugali.

I carry my camera with me just about everywhere I go because I never know when something will catch my eye.  One of things that caught my eye on Saturday was this Kenyan-style scaffolding!



As I mentioned in my first post, I am surprised by how green the city is.  Located near the Kenyan president's residence (no photographs allowed!) is the Nairobi Arboretum. 




The Arboretum is a great jogging destination on a Sunday morning (when traffic is minimal and the air quality seems relatively good).  The first time I went to the Arboretum, I saw so many monkeys.  But of course, when I came back with my camera they were nowhere to be found!

1 comment: