Thursday, June 23, 2011

Reminders of home

Although 7,200 miles separate Nairobi from Portland, Maine, on several occasions it has felt like a whole lot less.  The "small world" encounters and reminders of the Pine Tree State over the last 5 months (although not numerous) never cease to amaze me.  I've met two fellow Mainers in Nairobi - both of whom grew up about 15 minutes from my hometown.  In Dadaab, I work with a refugee interpreter whose entire extended family lives in Lewiston.  He was so excited to meet someone from Maine, and I was so thrilled that someone in Kenya (not from the US or Europe) actually knew about Maine! 

Some visual reminders of home:

While hiking Mt. Kenya a few months ago, I spotted a Sugarloaf  sticker at the peak!


And I even found a Nairobi matatu showing its loyalty to the great state of Maine.  Usually references to God or Bob Marley grace the outside of matatus, but not this one! I wonder who the Portland Pirates fan is?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment