Thursday, March 3, 2011

Random photos

I thought I'd share a few random pictures that I've taken in the last few weeks. 

Capturing the plates full of colorful meals is definitely a favorite of mine.  And despite the funny looks I get, I'm going to keep doing it!
This meal is representative of typical Kenyan fare.  Clockwise from the bottom: matoke (plantain stew); kienyeji (sauteed shredded cabbage ); peas and carrots (I can't remember the Kenyan name); and mokimo (a mixtures of potatoes, green bananas, green leaves and corn).  


Yum, a LARGE plate of Ethiopian food!  Don't worry, I made two meals out of it.  This picture was taken at Habesha, one of the best Ethiopian restaurants in Nairobi (and only a few blocks from my apartment!). I had just come from the gym (in case you're wondering why my face is so red).
  
 The absolutely delicious fruit salad from the fruit lady (aka Mama John).

I finally tried nyama choma (roasted meat) a few days ago.  You can spot a nyama choma establishment by the raw meat hanging in the window...kind of like a butcher shop!  They'll always have goat and usually beef and chicken as well.  First you choose the part of the animal you want to eat, and then you wait.  It takes some time to roast the meat, so I recommend ordering a Tusker or two and fries to keep you occupied.   I decided to try the goat but left it up to the waiter to choose the cut.  About 40 minutes later, I received a plate full of goat ribs.  The meat was pretty tasty but a bit chewy.  Unfortunately I didn't have my camera handy, so you'll have to wait until my next nyama choma outing to see what I'm talking about!

 While studying Swahili the other day at Dormans, I treated myself to an iced latte.  Dormans is Kenya's equivalent to Starbucks - only better!  Maybe it's the whole milk they use - no "skinny" lattes here! 

I spent last weekend relaxing with a friend at her family's home in one of the nice neighborhoods in Kenya.  Below is the view from their porch - not too shabby!


I spotted these colorful birds on my way to the gym. 
See, it is worth carrying a camera with me everywhere I go!

I spotted this overloaded truck on my way through town - not an uncommon sight.  Who said you can't move the whole house in one trip?


2 comments:

  1. great post! so real and so you! love you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not so tempted by the cuisine, but your pictures of the landscape, wildlife, etc. are awesome. It looks like you are really enjoying yourself. I'm also curious to hear about your work too.

    ReplyDelete